NAME AND ADDRESS
1. The name of the Association shall be called “CCC HOH FUK TONG COLLEGE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION” (中華基督教會何福堂書院校友會) (hereinafter called “the Association”).
2. The registered address of the Association is CCC Hoh Fuk Tong College, No. 28, Castle Peak Road, San Hui, Tuen Mun, New Territories, Hong Kong.
3. (a) To maintain and promote the fellowship of the alumni of the CCC Hoh Fuk Tong College (hereinafter called “the College”).
(b) To help maintain and/or upgrade the esteem of the Association and the College.
(c) To stimulate and encourage the awareness and acceptance of the responsibilities of citizenship.
(d) To organize public and/or internal meetings of an educational and social nature.
(e) To perform any act which will further promote the above objects.
4. There shall be the following categories of membership: Honorary Member, Life Member and Ordinary Member.
(i) Honorary Members: Honorary Membership may be conferred upon any person of eminence and distinction. A motion to confer Honorary Membership must be made at an Annual General Meeting and receive the votes of more than two-thirds of the voting members present.
(ii) Life Members: Life Membership will be granted to choose Members who have paid a lump sum contribution of $500 or any other amount which will be fixed by a resolution at a General Meeting.
(iii) Ordinary Members: Ordinary Membership shall be open to any person who:
(i) has been a student of the college but if no longer a student of such; and
(ii) has delivered to the Association a completed registration form provided by the Executive Committee together with the prescribed subscription.
5. The subscriptions payable by the Members of the Association shall be such sum or sums as shall from time to time be determined by a resolution at a General Meeting. The rates of subscriptions (subject to any subsequent revision as aforesaid) are follows:
(i) Subscription for Ordinary Members is HK$100.00 for 2 years which shall be due on 1st day of (January) each calendar year.
(ii) Life Members will be exempted from paying the annual subscription after they have paid up a lump sum contribution as aforesaid.
(iii) Honorary Members are not required to pay any membership subscription.
Members who are to be absent from Hong Kong for more than one financial year (years) need not pay any subscription for that financial year (years) and could be reinstated as members afterwards provided that they have given due notice to the Secretary before leaving Hong Kong.
RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES OF MEMBERS
6. (a) To propose or vote for the election of members to the Executive Committee;
(b) To stand for election as members of the Executive Committee;
(c) To enjoy the full facilities of the Association;
(d) No voting rights for the Honorary Members and the power of Honorary members to stand for election of Executive committee members or Directors should be precluded.
RESIGNATION OF MEMBERSHIP
7. (a) Any Member may resign his membership by giving to the Association notice in writing to that effect. Every such notice shall take effect as on the first day of the month next after the month in which it is given.
(b) A Member shall, upon ceasing to be a Member of the Association, forfeit all rights to and claim upon the Association and its property and funds.
TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIP
8. The membership of any Member who has failed to pay his subscription shall ipso facto be terminated but he may be re-instated by the Executive Committee if all the arrears have been fully paid up within 12 months from the date when the annual subscription has become due for payment. If such arrears shall have not been fully paid up within the aforesaid period of 12 months, he may be admitted as a Member upon a new application being submitted in accordance with Rule 4(iii)(b).
EXPULSION OF MEMBER
9. If any Member has willfully refused to comply with any of the provisions of these Rules / regulations or bye-laws of the Association, or any resolution of the Association or has done anything to hinder the business of the Association or has been guilty of any conduct likely to cause obstruction or injuries to the interest activities or objects of the Association or has been declared bankrupt or has committed criminal offence as ruled by a Court of Law as the case may be, such Member shall be liable to expulsion by a resolution of the Executive Committee duly passed by a two-third majority vote.
THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE AND BOARD OF DIRECOTRS
10. The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, three Vice-Presidents, the Honorary Secretary, the Honorary Treasurer. Together with other Directors appointed in the AGM, they will form the Board of Directors for the Association.
11. The executive Committee Members shall be elected every three years.
12. The management of the affairs of the Association shall be vested in the Board of Directors.
13. Seven Members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum. The Chairman or acting Chairman shall have a casting vote at all meetings of the Board of Directors in the event of a tie of votes.
14. The Board of Directors shall exercise and do all such things as may be exercised or done by the Association save such as are by these Rules required to be exercised or done by the Association in General Meetings; but no regulation made or resolution passed by the Association in General Meetings shall invalidate any prior act of the Board of Directors which would have been valid if such regulation had not been made.
15. All acts by any meeting of Members of the Board of Directors or any Sub-Committee appointed by the Board of Directors, or by any person acting as a Member of such Board of Directors or Sub-Committee shall, notwithstanding that it be afterwards discovered than there was some defect in the appointment or any such Member or Members or the Board or Sub-Committee or persons acting as aforesaid as that they or any of them were disqualified, be as valid as if every such person had been duly appointed and was qualified to be a Member of the Board of Directors or Sub-Committee.
16. The Board of Directors shall have power to make amendment and repeal all such Bye-Laws as it may deem necessary, or convenient for, or expedient to the proper conduct and management of the Association.
17. Any question as to the interpretation of the constitution of the Association shall be decided by the Board of Directors whose decision on any point shall be final.
18. A vacancy of occurring in the Board of Directors during the term of office shall, if the Board of Directors considers it necessary, be filled by a Member or Members appointed by the Board of Directors and such Member or Members shall serve until the Annual General Meeting when the term of the existing Board of Directors shall have expired.
DUTIES OF OFFICERS
19. The president, or in his absence the Vice-President, shall preside at all functions and shall chair all meetings. In the absence of the President and Vice-President, the Board may appoint one of its Members to act as Chairman.
20. The Honorary Secretary shall have custody of the Associations Rules and Bye-Laws. He shall keep an accurate record of all correspondence unless part of such correspondence is delegated by the Board to some other Members.
21. The Honorary Treasurer shall receive all entrance fees, subscriptions and all other monies payable to the Association. His receipt shall be the only valid discharge and he shall keep an accurate account of all disbursements and shall not settle accounts of sums of (HK$1000) or more without prior authorization from the Board. Cheques should be signed by the Honorary Treasurer, and counter-signed by the President.
22. Annual General Meeting shall be held in November of each year or so soon thereafter as may be convenient provided always that an Annual General Meeting shall be held not later than 13 months from the last Annual General Meeting. All other general meetings are called Extraordinary General Meetings.
23. At all Annual General Meetings and Extraordinary General Meetings of the Association if one-tenth of the Members then entitled to vote are present within half an hour of the time set for such Meeting such Members shall constitute a quorum. If a quorum is not then present, the Meeting shall stand adjourned until the same day of the following week at the same time and place or to such other day and at such other time and place as the Chairman may determine at which Meeting the number of Members present and entitled to vote within one quarter of an hour of the time fixed for such adjourned Meeting shall constitute a quorum.
24. No Member shall be entitled to vote on any question at any General Meeting if any sums payable to the Association by such member remain unsettled.
25. Notice of all Annual General Meetings and Extraordinary General Meetings shall be given 14 days before such Meeting. The accidental omission to send notices of a Meeting to or the non-receipt of such notice by any person entitled to receive the same shall not invalidate the proceedings at such Meeting.
26. Every Ordinary and Life Member shall be entitled to only one vote on any once motion. There shall be no voting by proxy.
27. Any four Members of the Board, or any thirty Ordinary Members of the Association, may call upon the President to convene an Extraordinary General Meeting and the President shall call forth such Meeting within six weeks of being called upon to do so. Notice of such a Meeting shall comply with Rule 23. Any requisition made by Members for an Extraordinary General Meeting shall be in writing and shall state the object of the Meeting proposed to be called and must be signed by the requisitionists and deposited with the Honorary Secretary of the Association.
PROCEEDING AT MEETING
28. (a) Order of business at Annual General Meeting;
(i) Minutes of last Annual General Meeting;
(ii) Treasurer’s Report;
(iii) President’s Annual Report of the Association’s activities; and
(iv) Any other business.
(b) In the Annual General Meeting when election of the elective Members of the Executive Committee (that is, President, Vice-presidents, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer and Directors) is held the order of business and shall in addition at 28(a) above include the following order, i.e. the election of
(ii) Vice President;
(iii) Hon. Secretary;
(c) If nominations for one or more posts of the Executive Committee are absent, the vacancy / vacancies may be filled by officers appointed by the new Executive Committee within one month after they have taken up their offices. The new Executive Committee must comprise at least four elected officers.
29. The order of the business at other Meeting shall be at the discretion of the Chairman.
30. Voting shall be by show of hands, except in the election of Officers of the Executive Committee, when, if there more than one nomination for a position, a ballot shall be taken.
NOMINATIONS FOR ELECTION
31. Nominations for election of Committee Members of the Executive Committee shall contain the signatures of a proposer, a seconder and a nominee and must reach the Secretary three days before the Annual General Meeting when the election shall be conducted.
AMENDMENTS TO RULES
32. The Rules of the Association shall only be amended at an Extraordinary General Meeting or Annual General Meeting.
33. All amendments to the Rules of the Association shall inform the Registrar of Societies.
34. The Board of Directors shall cause accounts to be kept of the monies received and expended and of the assets and liabilities of the Association shall be signed by the President, the treasurer and one other Member of the Executive Committee or in the absence of the President and the Treasurer or any one of them by such three members of the Executive Committee as the Executive Committee may resolve and the Auditor’s Report shall be attached to such balance sheet and presented at the Annual General Meeting.
35. The property of the Association shall be vested in the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall have power to invest monies and to adopt such measures as may appear necessary in the interests of the Association.
36. The Association shall only be dissolved by the vote of at least two-thirds of the Members present and voting at an Extraordinary General Meeting called for that specific purpose and a notice setting out the full text of the motion for such purpose shall be posted to every voting member at their registered addresses.
37. Any surplus funds at the date of dissolution shall be distributed among local charities in a manner to be authorized at the Extraordinary General Meeting approving the said dissolution.
NOMINATION OF ALUMNI MANAGER
38. The system of the election held by the Association for the purposes of making nomination of Alumni Manager of the College under section 40AP(4) shall be fair and transparent